Look who's Pregnant!!!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, January 9, 2011

My new job

Ryan's friend Adam, has a sister named Amy, who had a baby over the Christmas break.  She just happens to teach 8th grade special education math.  So I applied for the job, was offered the job, and accepted the job!

I will have one self-contained math class in which I am the teacher.  There are only four students in that class.  The rest of my day will consist of co-teaching with a general education mathematics teacher in his classroom.  I have no home room students, and the first two classes of the day are my preps.  So according to my calculations, I won't teach until around 11am daily.

The school's poverty level is similar to John Young...it's population consists of about 50% free and reduced lunch students.  So it's just below the federal level required in order to qualify as a Title I school.  The racial makeup is different than JYMS though.  This school, JJ Daniells, has about 50% Caucasian, 20% Hispanic, and about 30% African American students. 

This position is a 9-10 week job, which basically takes me up to Spring Break; the first week in April.  The 2nd or 3rd week in April is when the Georgia CRCT's are administered.  This is like Indiana's ISTEP EXCEPT that 8th graders are in an "exit year", which means they HAVE to pass the CRCT in both  math and language arts in order to go on to the 9th grade.  Can you believe there is accountability here??????

I have mixed emotions about starting this job....
Pros
Meeting new people and possibly making friends!
Getting my foot in the door in a school system
Something to do and fill my time with
Cons
Can no longer work at Papa's Pantry
Have to get up early
Teaching 8th grade math again!

I am supposed to start on Wednesday.  But it is snowing here in GA and all the schools are already closed for tomorrow, Monday.  If the schools are closed again on Tuesday, then I can't start until Friday.  There are only certain days of the week that Cobb County will process new employees. 

*******

Some more pictures from when we were in St. Augustine.

This is the bay that Ryan proposed on, and is right across the street from where we're getting married.

Here is a picture outside the Lightner Museum.  Couples can get married on this bridge over the koi pond.  It was beautiful, but ultimately too small for what we were looking for.
And here is a picture of the two of us on New Year's Eve, before Ryan had proposed, but I wore the ring anyway =)

No comments:

Post a Comment