Look who's Pregnant!!!

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Decisions, decisions

Jobs, Men, and Leisure - Me thinking out loud


Jobs


  • I got called today to be a maternity leave sub at Pebblebrooke High School in Mableton, GA.  In GA, you need a GA teaching license in order to be a regular sub, but in order to be a permanent sub, you only have to have a degree - in anything!  It makes no sense to me...  I'm scheduled to interview Thursday at 2:30.  It is a 45 minute drive with no traffic.  Mabelton, I found out, is a very under developed poverty ridden area, and I would be teaching Math I and Math II.  These classes are for high school kids who aren't even in algebra yet.  The more I've gotten to think about it, the less I want to interview.  The benefit of being a sub is working when I want to, and not working when I don't want to.  This position would be everyday for a minimum of 6 weeks and they can't tell me the maximum number of days other than it caps out at 3 months.  The pay is good...$100/day (again, more than regular subs get paid even with a GA teaching license!), but I think I am going to cancel the interview.  The whole point of this year was for me to explore options OTHER than teaching.  Plus, I wouldn't be able to volunteer at Papa's Pantry anymore.


  • I also applied and got called for an interview next Thursday at 10:30am with a company called CLASS.  This complany sends people to anywhere in the US for 45 days.  You live and work in an apartment complex for those 45 days straight, and then get 2 weeks off.  During those 45 days your job is to increase renters of the complex through marketing and who knows what else.  There are 10 days paid training on how to become a leasing agent, and then they send you off.  After your 45 days working, and then 2 weeks off, you start all over again and get sent somewhere new for the next 45 days and the cycle repeats.  I think that this job could be ideal for what I want to do this year - travel, meet new people, and explore new places.  And to do it on someone else's dime is ideal.



  • I also signed up with a tutoring company and have gotten my first client.  She is a 7th grade girl, who is an actress, so all her schooling is done on-line.  She needs help with the math since no one is really there to teach her.  So I will be doing that for 2 hours per day, every other day.  But only from September 7th -October 5th, because then "she will be gone for three months for the national tour of How the Grinch Stole Christmas".  Maybe she will be the next famous movie star...


 Men


  • I had a date tonight with Seumus (pronounced Shay-mus), 30, from Vinings, GA.  Surprisingly, it went well.  Considering all my eHarm dates from IN and CT were total wastes of time, my GA matches are good so far!  We met in Marietta's old fashioned town square.  The first place we went was called Hemingways and we sat outside on tables and chairs on an old brick roadway.  We had a drink or two and then left.  Next we went to the Marietta Pizza Company.  Again we sat outside and we ordered Hawaiian pizza (sorry Kel) which was amazing!  Is it rude to take the leftovers home if you didn't pay for the meal?  I didn't take them, but SO wanted to!
    Upon parking I saw this caboose or something that I just had to get my picture on. Yes, I hopped the steel fence in order to do so, and yes those are my shoes laying on the ground. "Hi, I'm Courtney. Would you mind taking my picture on that train? I'm serious." How exciting would it have been to get arrested on a first date? hahaha

  • Then there's this guy Keith, 37, from Atlanta that I've been talking to on the phone but have not yet met.  The first phone call was 45 minutes and the second was an hour and 45 minutes.  We are planning on doing something active this weekend, like hiking or climbing a waterfall.  So I'm super excited to meet him too.

Leisure


  • I have to decide by tomorrow if I want to go on that cruise or not with the 575 Singles Meet Up Group.  You know, the one where everyone was in their mid to late 40s.  The price is sooooooooo cheap and I looooooooove cruises so it's hard for me to pass it up.  On the other hand, how crazy is it to drive 8 hours to FL, stay with this woman named Tammy on the ship, and drive back 8 hours with Tammy.  I guess it's one way to make a friend in Woodstock.  Then again, my year is supposed to be spent doing things outside my comfort zone and saying "yes" to adventure.  Plus, if I continue working out four days a week, it will be a nice reward for doing so.  The boat leaves September 20 and I'm guessing I will be on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment